Tenant Manual for printing
INDIAN HILL ROAD
Welcome to Indian Hill Road
Indian Hill Road is a secluded family compound of 4.3 acres in West Tisbury located on the North Shore’s Beautiful Indian Hill Road. The property is private and quiet yet within a short walk or drive to other areas on the island. The home is located on a hill with beautiful stone work and tree top views. Truly magical spot with several place to gather and enjoy nature while surrounded by beautiful plantings, a mature Beech Grove and old growth forest.
Before Arrival – The house is accessed by a key and will be left open for your arrival
Upon Arrival – Important Notes
- In early spring or late fall the hot water heater may be on pilot. If the hot water is cold go the water heater and slide the red rectangular switch next to the tank temperature from PILOT to ON (do not turn to off!)
133 Indian Hill Rd
West Tisbury, MA 02575
133 Indian Hill Rd
Vineyard Haven MA 02568
House Phone – none
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Caretaker –Andora Aquino Cell: 607-244-9527
- Owner – Robert and Sarah Myhill: 617-251-8325
- Andora Aquino Cell: 607-244-9527
- Trash Collection – Bruno Disposal 508-693-5454. Trash pickup every Wednesday. Recycling Saturday. Check Schedule under the Up Island: West Tisbury. Calendar Here
- Supplies – Please purchase only septic safe Toilet Paper.
ALARM: The house is equipped with smoke detectors and fire extinguishers and an Abode alarm system. The hub is in the Writer’s Studio.
CRITTERS AND OUTSIDE DANGERS: The beaches, tall grasses and woods are filled with ticks, deer ticks and poison ivy. Inspect yourself and your children carefully for ticks after any outing. The deer tick is extremely small. About the size of a poppy seed. We also apply tick spray to our shoes, ankles and pants to discourage them from climbing up.
FIRE – POLICE – ACCIDENT: 911 is the emergency number. In case of fire, locate the closest fire extinguisher and use it. Do not use water on any grease fires.
CALL CONTACT LIST ABOVE ONCE 911 HAS BEEN CALLED.
See the Schedule Above – this is detailed information
Trash bin is the gray building to the west of the main house.
On Tuesday before the Wednesday pickup and Friday before the Saturday recycling (the day before trash days) make sure all trash in the house is in the bins. The trash collectors come by very early. When you leave at the end of your rental make sure that all trash is out of the house and in the bins.
Wednesday is for trash . Trash is anything that is not recycling such as plastic wrappers. Service is every week.
Saturday Recycling comes every other week. Wash all cans and bottles completely before putting them into recycling.
Do not use plastic bags for collecting your recycling. These are a violation of Single Stream Recycling. Cardboard, paper, cans and bottles all go in one bin. but not any plastic trash bags.
Put all refuse in the trash cans inside of the trash bin and in the grey trash shed. Skunks are a problem so nothing should be left outside of the bins.
For extra pickups call Bruno Disposal 508-693-5454 (back to top)
Thermostat notes: Here is an explanation of how the thermostats run.
The 1st-floor fan runs automatically every 5 minutes.
1st Floor – Alexa powered Ecobee Thermostat. You can say “Alexa turn the thermostat to cool”, “Alexa turn the thermostat off”, “Alexa lower the temperture 2 degrees”.
2nd and 3rd floors – Turn mode to cool and set temperature. These are manual thermostats. If the 3rd floor is unoccupied you can open the windows a bit to vent the heat and simply leave the two thermostats off.
Never set the Fan to ON. Only use Auto. Turning the fan to ON will have no effect on the temperature. It simply just moves air around.
Let us know if you are not comfortable and we will adjust the automatic settings until you are.
ENERGY TIPS: Smart energy management at the house is done as follows.
- Close all windows on the (SOUTH) side of the house during the day.
- Turn off all lights when not needed. They produce a lot of heat.
- Raise the windows (especially on the North side) and open the attic windows and the doors at the base of the attic stairs.
- Close windows when rain is coming or if evening fog is thick.
ATTIC SPECIAL NOTES: It is common for the 3rd floor to get warm.
- AC – off during the day. Running the AC in the day is useless since there is no one there.
- Windows – Open the windows 6″.
Detailed HVAC information for interested people and contractors is here.
We have contracted with Con Edison Solutions through Cape Light Compact. This program uses 25% Biomass & Solar and 75% low impact Hydro.
For more information see http://www.capelightcompact.org and also http://www.conedsolutions.com
DECK: Lower and secure the umbrellas each evening or if windy to prevent damage to furniture. Please move the cushions from the outside of the covered porch if it rains. Cushions close to the edge of the covered porch will get wet.
Please place all bikes and beach gear in the red shed at the bottom of the hill. Additional beach chairs are in the basement next to the walkout stairs.
The shower is solar. The water heats up with the sun on it over the course of the day.
Grill: We have a Bull BBQ Gas Grill. Please read the detailed notes on operation are here.
Gas Grill located on patio
To Light: Turn on bottle first then the grill. The igniters should all work well
To Turn Off: Turn off grill first then turn off bottle.
There are spare gas bottles in the red shed. We try to have enough gas on hand however if you run out you can re-fill at either Vineyard Propane at 6 N. Line Rd., Edgartown, MA (near airport open only Monday – Friday) or DeBettencourts Garage 83 New York Avenue Oak Bluffs, MA 508-693-0751 (open weekends) – Drive through Oak Bluffs as if going to Vineyard Haven. DeBettencourts is on the right with brick columns in front of the gas pumps.
Manual Lighting: There is a lighter with a long neck located in the drawer to the left of the stove in Kitchen #1 (front). We keep the grill accessories there as well.
- Turn on bottle first then grill. Turn off grill first then turn off bottle.
- If the auto igniters are temperamental, use the long lighter (drawer to left of main stove) to ignite the lighter port while pressing the knob in. The lighter port is the upper left hole of the front four. You will see a long flame and it will light the burner. Release the knob once lit.
- If you have low flame or poor power it may be caused by not doing the 1st step correctly. This is how to reset the regulator.
- To correct low flame do these steps in this order.
- Turn off the gas at the propane tank.
- Disconnect the gas line from the tank.
- Open the grill lid.
- Turn all control valves to high.
- Wait for about a minute. Also rap the regulator with a screwdriver – sometimes it sticks.
- Turn all control valves to off.
- Reconnect the gas line to the tank.
- Very Slowly turn on the gas at the tank.
- Light the grill normally. Your grill should now heat normally.
- If it doesn’t work then repeat the above steps.
The driveway is odd shaped. Keep an eye on the east grass side and park parallel to that side to start.
Extra parking is down the East side of the hill to the North of the red building near the tent
Yoga Mats are located in the 2nd floor broom closet
Beach towels and in Bathroom #2 linen closet on the 2nd floor. The thinner Turkish towels are fast drying and preferred.
The Red Music Studio needs to be kept closed at all times.
For bikes or accessories we recommend any of these shops.
- Martha’s Bike Rentals – 5 Corners / 4 Lagoon Pond Rd, Vineyard Haven, MA. Vineyard Haven 833-362-7842
- Wheel Happy Too – 8 S. Water St. Edgartown, MA 02539 508-627-5928
- Edgartown Bicycles – higher end shop – 212 Main St. 508-627-9008 ask for Cody, Zachary or Greg
- Cutler Bike Shop -opposite the yacht club – 1 Main St. 508-627-2763
You can use anything in the red shed. (back to top)
The refrigerator in the front should have the freezer set to 0 and the fridge set to 37.
Microwaves: The microwave operates a bit like a iPhone. Use the three line icon to access options. Manuals for both of these are located in the cabinets near them.
Dishware and utensils: Please do not place sharp knives in dishwasher – simply dry and return to rack.
Votive candle holders are in cabinet to right near the dining room table. You will need to buy the little votive candles for them.
Ants are a problem on a sandy island. Terminix comes to the house several times a season but you will probably still see some ants around. Please report the presence of any other pests so we can take care of them.
Bigger desk can be set up if needed.
The basement light is on a dimmer. If it’s not full power the staircase light will flicker.
Extra towels and linens are located inside the 2nd bathroom. We provide you access to extra linens.
When you depart just leave the sheets on the bed they came from.
We aim to always have some basic kitchen staples on hand so to eliminate duplication please check the kitchen before you go shopping
There are many farmers markets on the island. The local spots we use are at this link.
There is a sleeper sofa in the garden level family room. The sheets, pillow cases etc. are in the closet next to the bathroom or next to the bed.
If you are a late sleeper I would recommend bringing eye shades and ear plugs. The sun comes up early and we have no window shades.
We make a concerted effort to insure that all of our beds are properly made up with quality sheets but sometimes the laundry will mix up our with others. Let us know if this occurs so that we can take care of it.
The home has an alarm beyond smoke and CO2.
There is an exterior camera on the covered porch watching the parking lot.
There is an interior camera in art studio is part of alarm and can’t be turned off but can be turned around
The Indian Hill Road has the latest in technology. Communication services are provided by Comcast 800 COMCAST
Wireless HP Printer is accessible if it is turned on. The printer is located in the 1st-floor bedroom. Paper and ink and office supplies is in the Swedish console, currently in the dining room.
The Main House guest network ID is indianhillmain and the password is …
There is also a property WiFi indianhill and the password is …
You can also connect to XFinityWiFi using your personal account information is you are a XFinity / Comcast subscriber
We have Internet access via a wireless network.
The system consists of the following.
A Gateway – Arris Gateway Modem/Router/telephony box that is provided by Xfinity – Comcast. This is located in the tree house. (indianhill and Xfinitywifi)
A Router – Netgear R900p Router connected by RJ 45 cable to the gateway. Located inside the basement utility room. (indianhillmain)
A Extender – TP-Link Extender – on the west wall near the fridge (extends indianhill SSID)
The security is provided by WPA2-PSK (AES) – we do not support lower security than this. You can read why here.
To Reset the system, for example after a Power Failure
- Go to basement and turn off the NetGear router.
- Go to the tree house and unplug the Gateway.
- wait 60 seconds
- To turn everything back on go outside and plug the power back into the Gateway
- After 60 seconds turn the Netgear back on in the basement
- After 60 seconds plug the Extender in
If you experience a power failure please turn off all computers, monitors and attached peripherals then turn off the UPS (if provided) in the basement. You will notice a beeping from downstairs that will continue until the UPS is turned off. To restore the cable and internet you may need to go into the basement and reset the system.
We provide XFinity Internet service at the home and you can access your personal accounts from the menu.
Turn TV on, then hit home. Use your home accounts. Both of the TVs are in guest mode so you can erase your personal accounts at the end of your stay.
The JBL Xtreme speaker connects to any phone via Bluetooth. Just turn it on and press the Bluetooth logo on the top of the speaker until you hear it go Ding. Then pair your phone to “JBL Xtreme”.There is a charging cord in case the JBL battery runs down. Excellent sound and it’s portable.